Saturday, November 10, 2007

Sicily

Camporeale. If it were a Spanish word, I would assume it had something to do with a field. "Camp" comes to mind. All I know is that my father's parents were born there and that, after two and a half hours in the home of a complete stranger, neither she nor her 80 year old retired veterinarian brother, Bartoldo could piece it together that, although we did share surnames, we were not related by blood. But, anyway you cut it, we have two new friends in Camporeale.

This one is for Scarlet. If you are in the language loop on this inside joke, you will get a chuckle. (Hey Scarlet---what do you think that initial "G" stands for? I have my own ideas, since this IS in Sicily, after all!!! Let me put it this way: It ain't a "P" for pequeno! LOL)



Here is something Somewhere Joe would never, EVER come out and say. But I am going to come out and say it: I just LOVE this shot! Taken at the seawall in Cefalu (cheh-fuh-LOO).




It rained in Cefalu:



My sister, Karen and Judy at our hotel (Baia del Capitano Hotel) in Mazzaforno, just outside Cefalu. Where it rained:



I couldn't have said this any better. I got it here.

"Cefalù, small port on the northern coast of Sicily, in the province of Palermo, on the railway to Messina. Located on a narrow coastal plain at the foot of a peak rising about 300 m (nearly 1000 ft) out of the sea, Cefalù is the center of a fertile agricultural region. The city's cathedral, one of the most remarkable examples of Norman Architecture in Italy, was begun in 1131 by King Roger II, the first king of Sicily, and completed in 1148. Population (1996) 13,882."

Here is my take on the interior. I didn't use a flash, either (click on the mosaics link in Galen's website and see what I mean). I had to hold that new picturer really steady. Galen, I think, swaps the numbers a bit when he says the cathedral was begun in 1131. Actually, all the other sites I've checked say it was begun in 1311. Not 1312 or 1313. No. 1311. And not by the FIRST Norman named Roger, but by the second one named Roger. Anyway, the text that Jesus is holding is written in Greek. And it appears to be from the Gospel of John. It begings, "I am the light of the world." But it is written in an old script and a bit challenging. I will work on it some more. Galen does go on to say that it was completed in 1348, so there ya go:



This guy had a dog. I think that's pretty cool. I'm a dog lover. And a cat lover. But this guy had a dog:



This is something extra you won't get on just ANY blog. The initials to the left and right of the Virgin Mary (they used first and last letters of words) stand for (on the left) MATER (MAY-ter) or Mother, and then on the right OF GOD (thay-EW[ew, like when you step in something bad]). And those aren't just regular angels flanking her, either. Oh, no, no, no. They are ARCH (ark) ANGELS; RAFAEL (not RAFE-ee-ul; it's raw-phai-EL) on the left with his name tag conspicuously displayed, and GABRIEL on the left, following same company name tag policy. Down there underneath the main stage are the grouping of the Apostles beginning (as pictured) with MARKOS on the far left, then Matthew to his left (our right), the Peter. I can't make out the other guys to our right. Sorry. I am guessing that the second one is Thomas. But I doubt it. (HA!!!! Get it?! Thomas? DOUBT it! GAWD, I JUST KILL ME!!!!)

34 Comments:

At Saturday, November 10, 2007 at 2:22:00 PM PST , Blogger Sheila said...

Great photos Gawpo..!
Don'tcha just love the history in these places. Take yourself to the Cathedral in Seville , Spain one of these years, I've been twice and will probably go again. It is stunning.
I hate to contradict you, knowing what a knowledgable and educated man you are, but I do think that is a sheep, not a dog. It has cloven feet, and it's face and head appear ovine. Take another look...I CSI'd it, and I'm pretty sure it's a sheep..?
hugs
xx

 
At Saturday, November 10, 2007 at 2:24:00 PM PST , Blogger Sheila said...

Or a lamb, as in Lamb of God..?

 
At Saturday, November 10, 2007 at 4:17:00 PM PST , Blogger Jacob said...

SHEILA MOB: Dang! I can't get nuthin' past you. That tail was so cute, too. Well, the good news is I can eat its relatives.

SHEILA MOB: You are smokin' hot! Yes. That makes much more sense. Cordero de dios, to be sure.

 
At Saturday, November 10, 2007 at 4:18:00 PM PST , Blogger Jacob said...

SHEILA: I just went back and CSI'ed it myself. You are so correct. How about them dreds on the little beast? Nice.

 
At Saturday, November 10, 2007 at 5:51:00 PM PST , Blogger Sheila said...

LOL..I thought they looked like dreds too..!

 
At Saturday, November 10, 2007 at 6:45:00 PM PST , Blogger lime said...

wow, that picturer does nice work when the big G gawpo is using it. thanks for al the translation work and history too. just beautimous

 
At Saturday, November 10, 2007 at 7:19:00 PM PST , Blogger Jacob said...

SHEILER: Yah, Mawhn.

LIME: That picturer just amazes me. Continually. Glad too that you like the word thing.

 
At Saturday, November 10, 2007 at 7:43:00 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pics. Keep sharing, although you have so much fun with yourself that I am not entirely certain you need an audience.

 
At Sunday, November 11, 2007 at 5:29:00 AM PST , Blogger annechung said...

I was in Cefalu in March this year, it was pouring rain too, the umbrella went this way then that, it did stop and we hiked up La Rocca, beautiful view, the mosaics were beautiful, as good as those in the Palatine chapel in Palermo but cannot match those of Monreale. This trip we only passed Cefalu on the train heading to Messina. See the rest of Sicily.

 
At Sunday, November 11, 2007 at 7:57:00 AM PST , Blogger Scarlet said...

What a treat, mi nuevo amigo! These are fantastic shots of one of the most beautiful places in the world; however, I would stay away from the pizzeria on Via Gran Verga. I'd wonder if that were really pepperoni on my pizza. ;)

Cefalu is breathtaking and after clicking on the link, I want a one-way ticket to "la citta di cultura."

Loved the cathedral and your translation of the line from the book of life. Jesus sort of looks like one of our locals here in Miami, a man named Barry Gibb. :)

Stayin' alive...Scarleta

 
At Sunday, November 11, 2007 at 2:21:00 PM PST , Blogger Jacob said...

QUILLY: I saw a guy carrying a white plastic chair across a room filled with people. He was holding it overhead to squeeze through. I commented to a friend, "Look---there goes the statue of chair-ity."

Like you said....

ANNECHUNG: I was impressed with how quickly the sea settles down after a storm. Not like the Pacific, to be sure. My sister and I didn't have time for the hike to the top of La Rocca and the Temple of Diana. Next time!

SCARLETA: Pretty funny, huh? I thought you might get a kick out of that! And you ran with it splendidly.

Barry Gibb-----yeah. I can see that.

Thanks for diggin' the pics, Scarlet. Glad you liked.

Stayin' alive----w00t!

 
At Sunday, November 11, 2007 at 7:30:00 PM PST , Blogger Gill said...

Love this BeeGee's thing you and Scar got goin on....
And mum is a forensic whizkid pickin up on that sheep ack-shun!
Woot!
xooox
Gillian
Oh yeah-nice shots. Loved all of them.
And your comment at the end, makes me howl! I guess you need some knowledge of the Bible to get that type o' holy humour.
xoxo

 
At Sunday, November 11, 2007 at 10:04:00 PM PST , Blogger Jacob said...

BLUE TSG: Well, as Joe would say, "Thanks a lot folks! I'll be here all week. Tip your waitresses. They've been good to you, so you be good to them. Take care now."

Your Mum was all OVER that sheep ack-shun, Blue. Schmawt Mum you got there.

xoxoxoxxox, G

 
At Monday, November 12, 2007 at 1:35:00 PM PST , Blogger Paul said...

Would G be for grande? or grosso? or perhaps gatto?

 
At Monday, November 12, 2007 at 1:51:00 PM PST , Blogger Nessa said...

I love the rainy picture with the wet shiny walkway. Beautiful pictures.

 
At Monday, November 12, 2007 at 2:34:00 PM PST , Blogger Jacob said...

PAUL: In Spain, Grande; in Sicily, WHOA!

NESSA: I love that you love what I loved enough to share with you, love.

 
At Monday, November 12, 2007 at 6:28:00 PM PST , Blogger Pam Aries said...

Looks like a GREYHOUND to moi...heh heh. OH yes..YES! I am moving to a new land...WESTward..OREGON! . Where GAS is pumped just like in the OLD days! Wheee....!! and no Sales tax! ..AND LIBERALS RULE! Dear GAWD..HERE I come! Where have I been all my life??????????????

 
At Monday, November 12, 2007 at 6:29:00 PM PST , Blogger Pam Aries said...

ps: I am loving your tales of GodFather land!!!!

 
At Monday, November 12, 2007 at 7:28:00 PM PST , Blogger Jacob said...

PAM ARIES: Yippppeeee!!!!!! Ya-HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! YEEE-HHAAAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!

I will send you my phone numbers and we can hook up with Cindra mayhaps.

PAM ARIES: Yeah. It was really unreal being there finally. More to come.

 
At Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 12:21:00 PM PST , Blogger vicci said...

Won-ner-full photos my Dear! I love the history....and...you do crack me up....I'm making the trip to Europe next year.....wanna come with me?????!!!!!! :-)

 
At Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 9:19:00 PM PST , Blogger Anissa said...

I love that he's tying her shoe. Great photos, G.

 
At Tuesday, November 13, 2007 at 9:24:00 PM PST , Blogger Claire said...

"Doubting Thomas" LOL! Yer killin' me Gawpie...

 
At Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 10:08:00 AM PST , Blogger Jacob said...

VICCANCE: Love to tickle your funny bone, Dearheart. Next year will have to pay for this year. Maybe the next year after that. Thanks for the invite, though.

ANISSA: You are the first person to say it out loud. Thank you. I love the configuration of limbs and gazes. There is love in that picture.

Oh, CLAIRE: YAY!!!! You got my joke. And said so. Gawpie Hearts Claire!

 
At Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 11:52:00 AM PST , Blogger Joe Jubinville said...

Baby you can tie my shoe
maybe you can shine it too
baby you can tie my shoe
and maybe I love you...

beep beep, beep beep, yeah!

 
At Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 1:54:00 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

asked a girl what she wanted from me
she said baby can't you see
i just tripped and fell on my face
you didn't notice cos you stare into space

baby you can tie my shoe...

 
At Wednesday, November 14, 2007 at 8:43:00 PM PST , Blogger Jay said...

Wow, great photos.

 
At Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 3:00:00 PM PST , Blogger C said...

Ooooh! I got hit with photographic diarrhea today, but yours are far more exotic!

Thomas. Doubting. HAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!! ^_^

Wow. Lovely stuff, Gawpo. :)

 
At Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 3:27:00 PM PST , Blogger Tim Young said...

love the pictures..

 
At Thursday, November 15, 2007 at 6:07:00 PM PST , Blogger Pam Aries said...

ARE you STILL in Sicilyyyy?? Hey..It is cold here in the Southland this evening..and I AM LOVING it!

 
At Friday, November 16, 2007 at 7:08:00 AM PST , Blogger mindy said...

beautiful pictures gawpo.. i love the rainbow. :)

 
At Friday, November 16, 2007 at 12:35:00 PM PST , Blogger Joe Jubinville said...

I told that girl that it's understood
watchin' the clouds pass, just ain't no good
if she wore boots like her sister Nicole
we'd do the boogie instead of the stroll

baby you can tie my shoe...

 
At Friday, November 16, 2007 at 12:46:00 PM PST , Blogger Jacob said...

SOMEWHERE JEAUX: Beep beep, beep beep. I love that song! And look who picked right up on it. People picturing was fun.

CHEENDRUH!: You and Joe can carry a tune. Most peculiar, man.

TIM YOUNG: Thanks! Happy to please. More to come. And Howdy.

PAM ARIES: Hooty-hoo! Nope. Back home. In the Oregon rain. Oh yes, you will so come to love it. Or you will have to leave it. But lots less precip in the Valley than at the coast. So you should be fine.

MINDANCE: Who could not love a rainbow. It is like a parade. And everyone, as you know, loves that.

SOMEWHERE JOE: Wow! And the beat goes on! Beep beep, beep beeb to you, In Qualche Luogo Giuseppe.

 
At Friday, November 16, 2007 at 12:48:00 PM PST , Blogger Jacob said...

JAY: Hey, Jay, wuddya say? Let's take that ball the OTHER way!

Thanks.

CANDACIA: Yo, Kickuh-babe. Wut up? I just knew you'd get my yuk about Thomas (the name means "twin").

Now I will head on over and see what you pooped out.

 
At Saturday, December 1, 2007 at 6:46:00 AM PST , Blogger Pam Aries said...

G'mornin'! just dropping in to say..welll... hooty HOOO!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home