Saturday, April 28, 2007

Human Life Is Precious

It's amazing what humans do in order to preserve a human life. Unless, of course, we want to kill you instead of save your life. I am not going to argue capital punishment. Or war. This is not an argument blog. No ax. No edge to grind. I've said it before in the blog domain and I'll say it again: If I thought someone was going to hurt me, (or you) and I had to make the choice, I would do whatever I could to prevent a bad thing from happening. I would never make it in the Society of Friends.

In moral theology, the question: "When is it right to do an evil thing?" raises its beautiful head. There is a time when a person will have to choose between doing a physical evil and a moral evil. Yeah. Here's a good example: If the physician amputates a leg, that is a physical evil. Legs are supposed to remain joined to the rest of the body. But let's say the leg is infected and if it isn't removed, the rest of the healthy body will get dead. No problem. Except for one thing: If a person's body gets dead, then the person gets dead along with it. "We are our bodies," the Abbott used to remind us. His illustration was: "If someone steps on your foot, you say, 'Hey, you stepped on me. You stepped on ME.'" So sometimes you have to remove a portion of a person's body (which, while it is still is attached, is still them) in order to save the whole person. Yes, it would be a physical evil to remove the infected leg. But it would be a moral evil not to remove the infected leg.

Does anyone out there remember that SNL skit when Tony Danza was co-hosting and he and Joan Cusak are lying in bed as though they were a married couple and she starts asking him if he would still love her if she didn't have any legs, and then arms, and then she goes down the list of hypothetical amputations until she is just a brain? Yeah, that one? Anybody?

Here's a story example of what humans do each and every day in order to save a life.

Yesterday I was scanning the freqs (listening to the police/fire/medical channels) and I heard everyone screaming to a really bad crash. One patient was transported to the hospital and Life Flight was called. Very serious stuff. Lots of police, fire and medical responded to the scene, medical took calculated chances by driving really fast to the hospital, and the helicopter crew took calculated chances flying over to get the patient to be taken to a trauma center in Portland. But the helicopter pilot couldn't get into the landing pad at the hospital. Fade in/fade out. Part Deux....

So I'm sitting at the light and I see a helicopter flying low over the bay. At first I think it's the Coast Guard helo, but this one is red, not orange. Putting two and two together, it occurs to me that Life Flight has been dispatched for the patient associated with the really bad crash and that this is the Life Flight crew looking for a way around the marine layer that just showed up in the previous 20 minutes or so. I watch as the pilot flies west, then reappears in a steep bank and heads east along the bay and river, still flying low.

I was on my way to my own airport (a bit inland) to put the plane away from my earlier flight. When I get to my airport, here sits out on the ramp that big, red medical helicopter. I chat up the crew and get the pilot to help me put my airplane to bed. The pilot explained that the fog kept him from landing at the hospital and that the ambulance will bring the patient to the airport. Then it dawns on me that I am the only person who has a key to the airport gate, located about 80 yards from the aircraft. I go open the gate so that the ambulance can drive right up to the aircraft. Wow. I get to help! AND I get to witness what all these players train for.

Serendipity:

1) Later, after I show up late for dinner at my friends', I explain where I had been all this time. One of my other dinner guest friends explains that he had actually come upon the dust of the crash just as it was happening, but didn't witness the actual crash.

2) I had been flying earlier in the day with another friend (the one who has the green airplane---see pics, earlier posts). His wife is an intensive care nurse at our hospital. Her brother is an E.R. nurse in the same building and treated the patient from the crash at the hospital.

3) I had a flight lesson planned that did not materialize. Otherwise I would have pushed my plane into the hangar hours previous to all of the action instead of leaving it out. But because I left it out, I had to go put it away.

4) And because I had to put the plane away, I drove to the airport where I got to meet the helicopter pilot, check out all the cool flight instrumentation and witness the transfer from ambulance to the big red bird. AND someone there happened to show up with a key to the gate. HELLLLOOO!

No matter the circumstance, human life is precious. We can shine when we want to.

So, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Here are some pictures.....







































If you want something to happen when you're filming, all you have to do is turn the camera off. And that is just what happened while I was waiting for the chopper to lift off. The instant I hit the "off" button, the RPMs roared to full throttle. By the time I could turn the thing back on, the bird was about 30 feet in the air. The prop wash was so incredible! I will never stand this close on a gravel surface again. But if you want a really inexpensive skin peel, this is all you'd have to do.

49 Comments:

At Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 4:49:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

BLUE TSG: That is so WEIRD! I saw your comment come in just a couple minutes after posting this. I went to my email and read the comment. The comment exists. But not here. I have tried twice. Maybe it will show up after I get done telling you that you are more like that prop wash than the prop wash itself! I did NOT save anyone. I had a key that let them get the gal to the chopper a little quicker, and without having to lug her over on the gurney or the stretcher or the pak board or whatever they call it. But you sure set me straight: There are NO SUCH THING AS COINCIDENCES. Okay, OKAY. I get it. (maybe???) But I am getting there. Honest I am. Thanks to your encouragement and the way it all really does make sense.

Now I am going to see if your comment comes in.....xo, G

 
At Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 4:51:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

Crap! Only mine is here. Wuh hoppened to yours? The Universe is playing paddle ball with it. It is meant to be. See? I get it!

 
At Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 4:52:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

Here is Blue's comment:

Gawpo, there are NO coincidences. You were meant to be there to help. That is why going with the flow is sooooo verrrryyyy important. Sometimes, actually always, the Universe has much bigger plans for us than we do.
Way to go G, you saved someone! So cool. So cool.

 
At Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 4:56:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

Okay, I'm a real smooth operator. It appears that I somehow posted twice. Blue, your comment came in on the first post. I didn't realize there was a second one. So I am deleting the first post. Sigh......Looks like the Universe is playing paddle ball with Gawpo!!!

 
At Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 5:34:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gawpo -- the universe isn't playing paddle ball with you -- just Blogger.

You know, "all things work for good for those who believe." There is a reason you were there with the key. It was neither accident nor coincidence.

 
At Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 6:27:00 PM PDT , Blogger Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

You had serendipity and a very sixth degree experience. This was no coincidence. Everything was aligned to happen just as it did.
But what, no Kevin Bacon??? ;)
XOXO

 
At Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 7:57:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

QUILLY: Okay. I give. I guess it's just because I had my own reason already loaded up and then they were there and I just thought that it was a lucky sort of circum........okay. It was meant to be. I get it now.

LISAOCEANDREAMER: It was just so weird and wonderful how there was this little whirlpool of convergence around all the people I had no idea I was going to have an appointment with later in the day. I mean, I woke up and had my day all planned.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Kevin Bacon had something to do with any number of the day's players. Not a bit. So let's just say he figures in here somewhere, Lisa. I sure won't fight it. Between Quilly and Blue, I'm just along for the wonderful ride.

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 6:04:00 AM PDT , Blogger Sheila said...

We are all connected and everything happens for a reason. Good you were there..you were the 'key player' in this story..!
Next time you need a face treatment, see Blue..she'll fix you up..!
Hugs
xx

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 6:16:00 AM PDT , Blogger vicci said...

Ya know what...this is whats called 'LIFE".....and no one really knows how really precious 'LIFE' is until we almost 'don't have it no mo'....I agree with Sheila Girl...all things happen for a reason...sometimes we don't know the reasons...sometimes we discover the reason later on...and sometimes never....
Hope you had a fun fly weekend G....I loved the message and picture! :-) XXXOOOO
'

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 11:36:00 AM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

SHEILA: Burping off some chuckle here, dear MOB. Very good idea seeing a professional for facials.

VICCI: It just still blows me away that you and I "met" with the same Day On The Green experience. We have the same memories, shared the same sun, were both pulled toward the earth's center from virtually the same indentation of a loop on the edge of a postage stamp. That we would coincide there and now here leads me to wonder at how many times we've passed on the highway or sat a table away in a restaurant and never knew it. I love that stuff. Wouldn't it be cool if we could run the movie backwards, stain any number of people with red and then see where they had been relative to each other over a period of fifty years?

I guess the reason for it all is that love makes us happen.

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 2:31:00 PM PDT , Blogger armalicious said...

So I started to read this last night after Mr. ARM and I got home. It was after midnight and I was tired. I could tell that this was an important post, so I knew that my tired brain was not going to wrap itself around it at that hour (because I turn into a pumpkin after 10:30, you know).

Anyway, now that I'm re-reading this, I have to agree with Blue TSG's missing comment. Whether or not you choose to believe that you helped or not, you were meant to be at that exact place at that exact time. I believe that everything happens for a reason. And that's my story.

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 2:43:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

ARM: Okay. OKAY.

I am getting double teamed
by the two right-see-ers I hold most esteemed. That I would be there and hold that key, well it may have consequences I had never dreamed.

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 3:06:00 PM PDT , Blogger singleton said...

The butterfly effect. Always....

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 4:06:00 PM PDT , Blogger armalicious said...

Exactly.

Now. Go to my blog. I've finally put this computer to use.

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 4:09:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

(zombie trance, arms held forward like Frankenstein...) Yes....Mistress ARM........

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 4:36:00 PM PDT , Blogger lime said...

as one who has in the past required the services of a life flight helo i thank you for being a willing part in aiding those flying and attending to the patient.

and as one who has stared down the barrel of a gun, yes, if i had a bigger gun and opportunity, i'd send the attacker to meet his maker.

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 5:03:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

LIMERS: And as always, you speak-a my language. Turrable that you had to enlist the services of such a flight. That reminds me----I need to buy the insurance. It's cheap. And the ride is NOT cheap, as I'm sure you know.

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 6:16:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting experience! It must be a good feeling to know that you were able to be a part of the 'good' side. Like most of the others that commented, I believe that everything happens for a reason. Quite a trip, life? Huh?

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 7:28:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

JACKIE: Indeed. But nothing can compare to having your home gutted by mice. Sorry......lol

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 8:35:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe in coincidence. You can usually only see the plan in hindsight, but if you look back carefully, you'll see the plan.

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 10:09:00 PM PDT , Blogger robkroese said...

I don't believe in coincidence either. I think everything happens in sequence, very quickly.

A lot of synchronicity and just the right amount of serendipity. Very cool. The pics aren't showing up for me, btw.

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 10:42:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

KAT: I believe we bring meaning to whatever happens. And that the ability to meet events with that meaning is from eternity---voice of God, if you will. It is in us. From eternity. The plan we see upon bringing that meaning dispels any notion of coincidence, since truly, whatever happens becomes meant when we meet it in this way. I'm a proleptic eschatologist.

 
At Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 10:43:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

DIESEL: I guess my response to Kat will fit for what I could say to you. Weird how things work out, huh?

I will check to see if the pics have disappeared and fix it if they are still gone.

 
At Monday, April 30, 2007 at 6:48:00 AM PDT , Blogger mindy said...

amazing how everything in life seems to connect. it's like the 6 degrees of kevin bacon. kind of. :)

 
At Monday, April 30, 2007 at 8:19:00 AM PDT , Blogger Mayden' s Voyage said...

"Appointments" are a prior agreement to meet at a fixed time and place...
"Divine appointments" are nothing less- you just don't get the memo ahead of time.

It's a joyful thing to discover the Greater Power had plans for you...and it's not a little thing either, Gawpo~ :)

 
At Monday, April 30, 2007 at 8:45:00 AM PDT , Blogger Katie McKenna said...

Your life is always full....
:)

 
At Monday, April 30, 2007 at 9:51:00 AM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

MINDY: My dearest Mindy---YES!!!! Blows me away how everyone is connected. And how beautiful it is when we get to see just a glimpse. Hey, wasn't that you in the stroller that time at the grocery store that many years back?

MAYDEN: So what you're saying is, Jiffy Pop was no accident? It truly is a beautiful life. And you have made it fuller. Or more full. Better.

KATIE: Hola, chica!!! This is full: I'm going about my day and I think of you. How's that for full?

 
At Monday, April 30, 2007 at 12:35:00 PM PDT , Blogger armalicious said...

So, you reference an SNL sketch with Joan Cusack. Then you speak of Serendipity. Which was a movie starring Joan's brother, John Cusack. Weeeiiiirrrrdddd....

 
At Monday, April 30, 2007 at 4:48:00 PM PDT , Blogger lime said...

no the ride is not cheap. in my case $14,897 to be exact. given that the flight was about 15 minutes long...well, how's that math??

being a patient and going in it is rather like being slid into a morgue drawer, rather an interesting sensation actually, but the fellow taking care of me gave me very nice drugs. i *heart* the fellow who gave me nice drugs and made the #10 owies go away for 15 minutes.

 
At Monday, April 30, 2007 at 9:32:00 PM PDT , Blogger Preeti Shenoy said...

What an adventurous and exciting life you lead.Have you ever thought of writing a book?

 
At Monday, April 30, 2007 at 9:54:00 PM PDT , Blogger Claire said...

Yes Gawpo, I would fight too. No doubt about it. You have a lot of good positive energy and that attracts this type of serendipitous (a real word?) event.
Cool.

 
At Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 12:34:00 AM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

ARM: Whoa! See? It's everywhere. I love that movie. Coincidence? I think not.

Ps: I'm thinking I'll just keep blogging and then patch all the posts together. Plenty of pictures, too. The sort of book I would like to read. Maybe I could call it, "Zen And The Art Of Maintaining It All."

Oh, CLAIRE: Ooooo. I like that. Sort of like being a lightning rod for a big, whopping bolt looking to melt sand into beautiful crystals. They should make a movie about that. But I hadn't thought of it like that, Claire. Awesome thought. YOU melt me!

 
At Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 5:19:00 AM PDT , Blogger mindy said...

i think it was me.
my husband and i grew up on the same street, our parents were in a bowling league together and we didn't meet until after high school. i kid him that i probably chased him around the neighborhood when we were little. :)

 
At Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 9:51:00 AM PDT , Blogger Joe Jubinville said...

Oh, I'd never do the dishes
I'd go swimmin with the fishes
though I might be thought insane...

my tummy'd never rankle
and I'd never sprain my ankle
if I was just a brain!

 
At Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 11:03:00 AM PDT , Blogger C said...

I love serendipity. :) And synchronicity.

That's extremely cool how everything meshed together like that. Which brings me to Sprockets. Would you like to touch my monkey? ^_^

 
At Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 4:06:00 PM PDT , Blogger Nessa said...

Very coolness.

You know, when a butterfly flaps its wings...

 
At Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 6:19:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

MINDANCE: Just as I thought. It really WAS you. My, look how you've grown!

JOEWHERE SOME: I actually got butterflies when I saw your profile picture there. Represented well by Goldennib right below the Candacian Foote of Feisty Flight. Are those really the lyrics? What's a rankle? I have to go look that one up. Gladdened, seeing you.

CANDACE: !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was actually going to record myself doing my excellent version of Sprockets. "Now it is time vee dahns on Sprawkets...." So, where did you come up with that? I didn't allude, did I? Yer gonna git it, then, Missy!

GOLDDENNIBB: Swallowtails are my fave. Since when I was really little.

 
At Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 7:49:00 PM PDT , Blogger armalicious said...

The time between your posts is a good practice for my patience. Which doesn't really exist (my patience). I am rather impatient most of the time. But, because it's ages in between a Gawpo post, I must be patient. But it's difficult, ya know?

"Touch heem, love heem!" We make our cat do the Sprockets dance all the time.

 
At Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 7:53:00 PM PDT , Blogger armalicious said...

Thank God for YouTube. I had to go find a Sprockets clip. Dance Party

I forgot the "your story has become tiresome" line. Mr. ARM & I say that to each other all the time!

 
At Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 8:54:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

ARM: Mein liebes Mädchen, der Grund, die ich keinen neuen Posten sehr oft mache, ist, weil ich für meinen Instrumentflug studiert habe, regiert Untersuchung und, den ich zu viel Zeit auf das BLOG nicht stellen kann!!!!!

Auch ist Ihre Geschichte leidig geworden!!!

 
At Friday, May 4, 2007 at 4:36:00 AM PDT , Blogger Gill said...

Agape. I got it. Your comment on Joe. Do I win something????

 
At Friday, May 4, 2007 at 10:10:00 AM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

BLUE TSG: YES! Send me your address via email. And you will love it. I promise.

 
At Monday, May 7, 2007 at 8:39:00 PM PDT , Blogger C said...

That's pretty wild, Gawpo. You must have been broadcastign it telepathically. When I said "mesh" I thought of syncromesh and gears, and then Sprockets. Bizarro!

 
At Tuesday, May 8, 2007 at 5:47:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

Fit the guck out! Really? Too cool. How bizzah, how bizzah.

 
At Wednesday, May 9, 2007 at 11:22:00 AM PDT , Blogger Katie McKenna said...

hello and hugs! :)

 
At Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 9:50:00 AM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

KATIE: Oh hello there, dear and sweet. Sorry I am so taken away of late. Back into it before long, though.

Smacks and Footrubs----G

 
At Friday, May 11, 2007 at 9:36:00 AM PDT , Blogger S said...

Woww I am glad you got to help with the amazing rescue!

Cool pics too!

 
At Friday, May 11, 2007 at 12:07:00 PM PDT , Blogger Jacob said...

S: yeS!

Thanks for stopping by. And glad you liked them pickshers.

 
At Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 7:03:00 PM PDT , Blogger Unknown said...

air max, longchamp, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, burberry, cheap oakley sunglasses, gucci outlet, nike free, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, nike free, tiffany jewelry, air jordan pas cher, oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, replica watches, oakley sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp outlet, nike outlet, prada handbags, michael kors, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, chanel handbags, longchamp pas cher, tory burch outlet, sac longchamp, kate spade outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin outlet, christian louboutin outlet, prada outlet, louboutin shoes, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, nike roshe run, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, louboutin, polo ralph lauren outlet, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, louboutin pas cher, ugg boots

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home